Attention: International Travelers and Departments – Beginning April 2, 2018, the Travel & Reimbursement Services Department will require VP signatures for any reimbursement requests where the trip was not registered 3 weeks in advance of departure.
We are taking this action in compliance with Interim Rule R3-030D: International Travel Safety and Insurance which has been in effect since October 31, 2016.
Travel planners need to register all international trips using the Travel System at least 3 weeks before the departure date. See the complete Rule for more details. This Rule is meant to enhance traveler information and safety while traveling abroad. Provisions within this Rule require travelers to adhere to travel warnings and to enroll in University Health and Emergency Evacuation Insurance for all University International trips.
As of January 1, 2018, the Standard Mileage Rates changed to the following:
- 54.5 cents per mile for business miles driven, an increase of 1 cent from 2017
- 18 cents per mile for purpose of relocation, an increase of 1 cent from 2017
For more information on this change, please visit the IRS webpage.
These rates will also be displayed on the Schedule of Allowable Rates section of the Travel website.
Travel & Reimbursement Services is currently experiencing a high volume of Travel Reimbursement requests, and we are working diligently to process them as quickly as possible. Please make sure to follow the guidelines below in order to help speed up the overall processing time.
NOTE: If an incomplete request is submitted and/or the guidelines are not followed, Travel & Reimbursement Services may send it back to the requestor. We want to be sure that all accurate submissions receive our best service.
Guidelines for Travel Reimbursement Request packet:
- NO StaplesAttach the pages of the packet using an alligator clip or paper clip.
- ORIGINAL receipts are required for employees.
- Tape down all receipts and include with the reimbursement packet.
- Mileage rate changed to $0.535/mile January 1, 2017. Attach mileage logs for reimbursements that have dates and mileage total.
- Foreign currency conversion: Foreign trips REQUIRE conversion documents attached to the reimbursement – we recommend using Oanda.
- Conference brochures are REQUIRED. They must include:
- Name of conference or meeting
- Dates of conference or meeting
- Location of conference or meeting
- All meals provided as part of the cost of registration
- Salt Lake International Airport Parking reimbursement guidelines
- If the trip is under 24 hours, the traveler may park in short-term parking. The current rate is $32/day.
- The traveler can park in short-term parking when required and documented up to 4 days with department approval.
- If the trip is over 24 hours, the traveler needs to park in long-term parking. Traveler will be reimbursed $9/day
Airport parking rates:
0-24 Hours – $32/day; One day max*
24+ Hours – $9/day
*When required and documented, additional Short Term Parking may be used up to a maximum of four days.
*The additional Short Term Parking fee, i.e. in excess of one day, may not be charged to State Appropriated Funds or Grant and Contract Funds. Travel will update allowable parking reimbursement amounts as costs change, for more information; refer to Salt Lake International Airport.