Many departments ask about how to best purchase Gift Cards. Here are a few important points to keep in mind:
For All Gift Card Purchases:
- Gift cards are an acceptable payment method for study participants but investigators must maintain payment logs for all studies that provide payments to participants.
- Gift cards of any value are taxable when given to employees. Tax Services requires a report that includes the employee’s UID, Organization ID#, and amount of the gift card.
Obtaining Gift Cards for Study Participants:
- Gift cards may be purchased with a PCard if the cardholder has obtained a PCard Gift Exemption.
- PCard Gift Exemption for gift cards is specifically for study participants, not for employees
- PCard Gift Exemption requires VP authorization
- Departments are required to keep a log of study participants who receive gift cards
- Gift cards may be purchased on campus at the Positively U gift shop in the University Hospital.
- Amazon physical gift cards are available in the Amazon Punch-out in the UShop Marketplace, however, the purchase of electronic gift card codes are restricted by Amazon. A separate Amazon account can be used to purchase electronic gift card codes as long as the PCard being used carries a Gift Exemption.
Note: Smith’s Food and Drug has recently changed their policy regarding the purchase of gift cards. Because gift cards are viewed as a cash equivalent, Smith’s will no longer honor the Print and Carry form for the purchase of gift cards.