Payment Type: Student & Educational Payments (SP)
Business Purpose: All
- Payments made to or on behalf of students who are not students of the U of U. This includes individual insurance premiums, student assistance, student contest prizes or recognition awards, payments towards an individual’s student loans, tuition payments directly to other institutions on behalf of an individual.
- Student Loan Payment: As part of an employment offer letter, the department agrees to pay a portion of an individual’s student loans on their behalf.
- Tuition Direct to Institution: As part of an offer letter, a department agrees to pay for tuition of behalf of an individual directly to the educational institution.
- Student Assistance: A student is to be given funding to support them in an extenuating circumstance.
- Student Contest Price/Award: A student wins a monetary contest prize or recognition award (e.g. “Best Student Tutor”).
- Insurance Premium: Liability or health insurance premiums need to be paid on behalf of the institution.
- Invoice, statement, or other document substantiating payment amount. Tuition or insurance payment should include a copy of the individual’s account statement.
- A copy of the award letter should be attached.
- Verification of address for the payee. While these payments are not always taxable, a W-9 can be used for this purpose.
- Department must indicate if the payee is a non-resident alien. W-8 BEN is required for payments to students who are Non- Resident Aliens.
- Tuition paid on behalf of a current U of U student needs Scholarship Office approval. Tuition paid on behalf of a U of U employee needs “Tax Tuition (Central) Review” approval. Simply click the “Add Approver” button in the Approvals section of the ePR.
- If the payment needs to be separate from other payments to the same payee, select “Yes” in the “Separate Payment” ePR field.
Additional Information and Resources:
- These payments often require documents to be included with the check. If this is the case, select the “Stuffer as a Check” under Payment Option.
- When paying insurance on behalf of a student, the insurance payment stub must be sent with the check.