Tax Law Update: Moving Expenses now Taxable

All employee moving expenses reimbursed or paid by the University are now taxable to the employee, as of January 1, 2018 due to the passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act on December 22, 2017.

Moving expenses reimbursed or paid will be considered wages for income and employment tax purposes. Reimbursements or payments for employee moving expenses must be reported as wages on Form W‐2 and all applicable withholding taxes will be withheld and reported.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Kelly Peterson, Associate Director, Tax Services and Payroll Accounting at

Please be sure to visit the Household Moves page for more information.


Subscribe to the FBS News E-mail ListSubscribe to the FBS News E-mail List