Reminder: Moving Expenses Taxable

As a reminder, all employee moving expenses reimbursed or paid by the University are taxable to the employee effective January 1, 2018 due to the passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act on December 22, 2017.

Moving expenses reimbursed or paid will be considered wages for income and employment tax purposes. Reimbursements or payments for employee moving expenses must be reported as wages on Form W‐2 and all applicable withholding taxes will be withheld and reported.

Due to the reimbursement processing requirements, there may be a delay between the reimbursement payment and the tax withholding applied to the payment on the employee’s pay check.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Kelly Peterson, Associate Director, Tax Services and Payroll Accounting at or Scott Patten, Associate Director, Accounts Payable at

Subscribe to the FBS News E-mail ListSubscribe to the FBS News E-mail List