Incoming Staff / Faculty Moving Procedures
Follow the University of Utah Policy #3-032 available from the University’s web page.
- It is not necessary for the prospective employee to call any moving companies or get any bids on their own. The University’s competent mover, Bailey’s Moving & Storage, agent for Allied Van Lines, has the contract for moves originating in another state or country.
- The moving contract must be used if the University department is sponsoring the employee for $5000 or more. Be assured that over 90 faculty and staff per year, including the president, have used the contract satisfactorily. The contract has been awarded to a company that has been closely scrutinized to offer excellent customer service, highly competitive pricing and a knowledgeable, helpful staff.
- The moving process gets started by the sponsoring campus department. The department must fill out a requisition. Notify Purchasing as soon as possible to assure the management of the move. It is never too early! See instructions #1-3 below.
- The Purchasing Department then notifies the moving company about the proposed move.
- The moving company will arrange to contact the new employee. Bailey’s Moving & Storage employees are highly skilled at customer service and will provide a good impression of the University.
Once you have determined to offer to pay for any or all of an incoming faculty or staff member’s moving expenses, please follow the instructions below:
- Within the body of the requisition, include the following information:
- The name of the person moving
- The city and state or country of origin
- Phone number and e-mail address of the person to be contacted
- Any dollar limits you would like to impose
- The vendor name of “Bailey’s Moving & Storage”
- The dollar estimate will come to the buyer in Purchasing who will then notify the requesting department with the not-to-exceed amount.
- No order is placed with the moving company until the department gives their approval of the dollar estimate.