Household MovesHousehold Moves

The University of Utah hires many faculty and staff from outside of our geographic area, and there are times when a department may pay for the faculty or staff member to move to Salt Lake City or a surrounding area.


The information provided is meant to give general guidance to hiring departments for each step in the process.

Household Moves ChecklistMoving Expenses at a GlanceRelocation Offer Example

Moving Expenses in the Employment Offer

Once the faculty or staff member is given an offer letter which includes moving expenses (see Relocation Offer Example above for sample verbiage), and subsequently hired, the hiring department will need to help the new employee with various parts of the household move process.
NOTE: Policy 3‐032 states, “Reimbursement or payment of moving expenses is not meant to be granted routinely, but may be offered to prospective faculty or other employees as an inducement to accept an offer of employment.”

Coordinating the Move

To take advantage of special pricing through the University-wide contract for moving companies, the hiring department should contact the Purchasing Department to coordinate the move.

  • The University’s contracted moving company is Bailey’s Moving and Storage. Any move, paid for by the University, and costing over $5,000 is should use this contract. A requisition is always required for any purchase over $5,000. Bailey’s Moving and Storage
    • Over 90 faculty and staff per year, including the president, have used the contract.
  • The moving process is initiated by the sponsoring department by filling out a Non-Catalog requisition via UShop as soon as possible to assure proper management of the move. The requisition MUST include the following:
    • The name of the person moving
    • The city and state or country of origin
    • Phone number and e‐mail address of the person to be contacted
    • Any dollar limits you would like to impose
    • The vendor name of “Bailey’s Moving & Storage”
    • Click “Yes” on the bottom section of the form titled “Purchasing Department Details”
  • The Purchasing Department then notifies the moving company about the proposed move.
  • The moving company will arrange to contact the new employee and send a quote for the cost of the move to the Purchasing Department.
    • The dollar estimate will come to the buyer in Purchasing, who will then notify the requesting department with the not‐to‐exceed amount.
    • The hiring department MUST approve the dollar estimate prior to an order being placed.

Household Members Travel Expenses

To minimize out of pocket expenses for the candidate, it is recommended that the travel expenses of this trip be submitted on Travel forms.
Please note:

  • Airfare will be charged directly to the department when the onsite travel agency is used to book purchase tickets.
  • Airfare contracts will be available for use when they are most appropriate for either cost or consideration of refunds.
  • Lodging, charged directly to the department, is available at several local hotel properties.
  • Out of pocket expenses for taxi, car rental (if necessary), meals and other expenses will be paid to the candidate via a Travel Final Reimbursement.

The Move: Out-of-Pocket Expenses

A reimbursement should be submitted to Travel and Reimbursement Services, with all supporting documentation and approvals.

  • Moving expense reimbursements must be approved by a Dean, Director or Vice President.
  • Any exceptions to University Policy must be approved by the cognizant Vice President.
  • Use the ePR system for employee reimbursements.
  • For more information see Moving Expenses At a Glance.

Important Tax Information to Share With the New Employee

Moving expense reimbursements and payments are taxable income to the employee. The University complies with federal and state regulations on reporting reimbursement and payment of moving costs as additional income to the employee.

Moving expenses reimbursed or paid will be considered wages for income and employment tax purposes. Reimbursements or payments for employee moving expenses must be reported as wages on Form W‐2 and all applicable withholding taxes will be withheld and reported.

For more information regarding the taxability of moving expenses see:

Moving Expenses at a GlanceUniversity Policy 3-032