COVID-19 Updates Related to University Travel
Travelers who booked airfare outside of recommended booking methods – tickets will need to be cancelled directly with the booking entity.
Use the ASK US form if you have additional COVID-19 questions about cancelling your business trip.
U of U Travel Restrictions Extended Through September 1, 2020
The President’s Cabinet has extended the current travel restriction for all university-related business travel for faculty, staff and students through September 1, 2020. Travel Planners are asked to distribute this information to all University Travelers.
Business-related trips between now and September 1, 2020 should be cancelled, unless you have obtained a fully approved exception. Exception approvals should first be granted by the cognizant Dean or Vice President, and then screened for extraordinary final approval from one of the following:
- Main Campus Academic Affairs Travel: Sarah Projansky, AVP for Faculty, email@example.com.
- U of U Health Academic Travel: Dayle Benson, Chief of Staff for Clinical Affairs, firstname.lastname@example.org
- U of U Health Hospitals and Clinics Staff Travel: Sarah Sherer, Senior Human Resources Director, Sarah.Sherer@hsc.utah.edu
- Main Campus Staff Travel: Chris Bone, Senior Human Resources Director, email@example.com
NOTE: Exceptions to this restriction should be approved at least one week prior to departure.
As global and domestic conditions become more clear, we will continue to update travel restriction information.
AIRFARE & PREPAID EXPENSE CANCELLATION:
Need to cancel airfare for an upcoming trip due to University Travel Restrictions?
Airfare purchased through our onsite agency or through Concur booking tool: Use this form to request cancellation
1. Airfare policies will vary by airline, date booked, and destination;
- Departments should receive specific information about any possible ticket credits within 72 hours of form submission
- Trips leaving within 48 hours will be processed with a higher priority
- Use this form to request cancellation
2. Airfare purchased outside of our onsite agency
- Tickets will need to be cancelled directly with the booking entity
- Travelers will retain any airfare credits toward a future trip
- If the credit is used for a future University business trip, the traveler will be reimbursed after completion of the business trip per usual processes
3. Conference Registration
- We are finding that if the conference cancels the event – registration is usually refunded to the original form of payment used to pay for the fee.
- If the conference does not cancel, and we do not attend the conference – registration may be partially refunded or credited toward a future event.
- Decisions are to be made within the departments regarding which is more appropriate
- Efforts should be made to recover conference fees whenever possible
4. Prepaid Hotel
- All efforts should be made to recover prepaid hotel expenses when the trip has been cancelled
5. Cash Advances
- Unused cash advances should be returned to the University via a departmental deposit. Departments should work with the Travel Department to account for the cash advance prior to the submission of any expense report.