Index and Glossary – T

Share Your Ideas

Tax Credits, Hope and Lifetime Learning:


| Hope Scholarship & Lifetime Learning Tax Credits – IRS Publication 970 | Ask Us Tax Services |
Return to Topical List


Tax Exempt Status, University of Utah:


| IRS letter of 501(c)(3) Exempt Status | Exemption Certificate Utah State Tax Commission, Form TC-721G | Procedures to Follow on University Sales to Outsiders | Ask Us Tax Services |
Return to Topical List

Tax Services:

Discussion: Tax Services is tasked with the following duties:

  • Ensure timely filing of all University federal and state tax related returns, reports and payments.
  • Develop necessary procedures and reporting systems to ensure compliance with federal and state tax laws applicable to the University.
  • Conduct research as needed and advise accordingly on tax consequences of University transactions.
  • Provide tax planning opportunities for University.
  • Track legislative tax developments at the federal and state level and advise University accordingly.
  • Function as University liaison with federal and state tax authorities as well as with outside consulting firms with respect to tax issues.
  • Administer University tax compliance with respect to nonresident alien employees, independent contractors, and scholarship/fellowship recipients.
  • Produce tax forms and statements including Forms 1098-T, 1099, 1099-R, and 1042-S.

Quick Links

| Tax Services Web Site | Ask Us Tax Services |
Return to Topical List


Discussion: The name given to the thirteenth month or the closing accounting period of each fiscal year.


The University operates on a fiscal year with twelve accounting periods beginning July 1 and ending June 30. The accounting world often uses a convention called the ‘Thirteenth Month” to identify a separate accounting period used to close the accounting records for a fiscal year. Each of the normal accounting periods have a name which corresponds with a calendar month. The “Thirteenth Month” needed a name of its own so the University chose “Thermidor.”


The origin of the name Thermidor was the eleventh month in the French Republican Calendar. The month was named after the French word thermal which comes from the Greek word “Thermos” which means heat. Thermidor was the second month of the summer quarter which started July 19 or July 20 and ended August 17 or August 18.


| Ask Us Financial Reporting & Accounting |
Return to Topical List

Trade-Ins of Excess Property:

Discussion: Complete a Retirement Transfer Form (RT). Put the amount of the trade-in and the reference number of the trade-in in the Asset Section. The University Surplus and Salvage Department (US&S) will determine if the offer appears fair and reasonable. If the offer is fair and reasonable US&S will concur on the RT. If a greater return can be realized by the University through public sale, University Surplus and Salvage shall take possession of such property and credit the releasing department with no less than the offered trade-in value.


| University Policy 3-040 Property Accounting; Section III. Paragraph T | Ask Us Surplus |
Return to Topical List

Transfer Property Obtained Through a Contract or Grant:

Discussion: Obtaining Approval to Transfer and or Sell property which becomes excess to a contract or grant. The account executive shall notify the Office of Sponsored Projects and the Office of Sponsored Projects shall request instructions from the contracting agency and act on the instructions received. Please visit University of Utah Regulations (Policy 3-040) and follow the instructions in section III, paragraph G and paragraph M..


| Policy 3-040 Property Accounting; (section III, paragraph G and paragraph M) | Ask Us Surplus |
Return to Topical List

Transfer of Research Equipment to Another University:

Discussion: Obtaining Approval to Transfer and/or Sell University Property to Another Institution (Universities or Colleges). Please visit University of Utah Regulations (Policy 3-040) and follow the instructions in section III paragraph G and paragraph N.


| Policy 3-040 Property Accounting III.G and III.N) | Policy 3-041 Accountability for Noncapital Equipment | Ask Us Surplus |
Return to Topical List

Travel Services Department:

Discussion: The Travel Services Department is responsible for the following programs and tasks:


Quick Links

| Travel Accounting Training | Travel Reservation Training | Travel Policy 3-030 | 2% Domestic Delta Discount article | 3 Step Airfare Reservation Process | Ask Us Travel |
Return to Topical List

Travel Application Help:

Discussion: Coming Spring of 2009 with the implementation of our newest version of TripTrackerWeb which will include a fresh new look, personalized combo boxes and improved vendor assignment.


| Travel Services Training – Online Demos | Ask Us Travel |
Return to Topical List

Travel Reimbursement:

Discussion: Upon proper documentation, a University traveler may be reimbursed for allowable travel expenses. Typical expense types include:

  • Airfare & Airfare Fees – We recommend using our Onsite Agents, and charges will be billed centrally.
  • Personal Auto Mileage – Per Mile reimbursement when appropriate, MapQuest or mileage log is required. If it is less expensive to fly to destination city, air quote is maximum amount reimbursed.
  • Hotel/Lodging – Paid for using personal credit cards, reimbursed with original detailed receipt after trip.
  • Meals – Travelers may be reimbursed government Per Diem Rates without receipts. Receipts are necessary if actual meal cost is being reimbursed.
  • Conference fees – Departments may use Purchasing cards for conference fees.
  • Car Rental – Original receipt required, State contracted agencies should be used. Diners Card is also recommended for Car Rental for insurance purposes. Rental Agency Insurance will not be reimbursed under most circumstances, unless foreign.
  • Taxi, Bus, Local Transportation – Original receipts required, unless properly logged and under $25 per instance. (Receipts are preferred to logs)
  • Parking expenses – Subject to maximum for SLC airport parking, please see Schedule of Allowable Rates.

| Travel Services Training | Travel Policy 3-030 | Diners Club Info | Car Rental Info | Schedule of Allowable Rates | Per Diem Rates | Ask Us Travel |
Return to Topical List