Department FAQsDepartment FAQs

How do departments arrange to send Excess University Property to University Surplus & Salvage?

This is a two-step process.

Step 1 is to complete a Retirement-Transfer (RT) Form(s). Complete the RT form(s) per the instructions found here.

Note: If you have trouble downloading the RT form, or the automatic number is not populating correctly, Please Click Here.

Step 2 is to submit an online work order requestClick Here . This will get your department in line for the pickup of the property listed on the RT form(s). In the field “Under the Description of Property to be turned in” please give Surplus a general idea of the scope of property being sent to Surplus.  

Surplus will verify the information on the RT Form(s), at the time of removal of the property, and sign the RT form(s). Give the Surplus employee the original signed copy of the RT form(s) and keep a signed copy of the RT form for your departmental records.

Surplus reserves the right to correct signed RT form(s). This is especially true for property delivered or picked up by Surplus where it was not possible to verify the RT form(s) at the time of pickup or delivery (e.g. Lost and Found in bags or boxes). This is also true if a row on the RT form is not explicit in its description (e.g. office supply, box of misc., e-waste, etc.) Surplus has found tablets, laptops, mice, keyboards, and other property, which needed a separate row on the RT form. Corrected RT form(s) are sent to Property Accounting.

For further information, review University of Utah Regulations (Policy 3-040) 

Are deliveries of property from departments accepted at University Surplus & Salvage?

Yes, deliveries are accepted.

If delivering property to University Surplus & Salvage please arrange a date and time for each delivery. For large deliveries sufficient notice, usually a week, is appreciated. The reasons arrangements must be made are:

  1. Man power to unload and put away the property delivered needs to be scheduled. The warehouse is small and creating space ahead of time for the expected property and having appropriate man power available speeds the time to unload the delivery vehicle(s).
  2. Limited dock space at our facility needs to be scheduled.
  3. We have a small staff and unscheduled deliveries may interfere with other scheduled orders.

Departments delivering property to our facility need a Retirement-Transfer (RT) form completed prior to the time of delivery. Trailers larger than 27′, attached to tractors, will not fit in the dock. Equipment larger than 94″ wide by 82″ high will not fit inside the building. Please make other arrangements with us if the equipment is too large for our facility.

Do University of Utah departments have to send surplus equipment to University Surplus & Salvage?

University policy, federal government and State of Utah regulations require University of Utah surplus property to be managed by the University Surplus & Salvage Department. This includes property originally purchased for less than five thousand dollars ($5,000). Departmental sale of university property is prohibited, except for transfer or sale to another university department.  Trade-ins of property are also allowed per policy 3-040. All other sales of surplus property take place through the University Surplus & Salvage Department. See Policy 3-040.

Are there any exceptions to the above question?

Yes, hazardous products, oils, barrels, chemicals, fluorescent tubes, unknown substances, materials with Freon, and debris from construction projects. See topics.

How do I dispose of fire extinguishers?

Dispose of fire extinguishers through the Occupational and Environmental Health and Safety Department.

How does my department surplus X-Ray type equipment, scintillation units or other like property?

Please contact the Radiation Safety Department before sending this type of equipment to University Surplus & Salvage.

What is the disposal procedure for refrigeration equipment or equipment containing Freon?

View refrigeration equipment and appliance disposal information at Occupational and Environmental Health and Safety. Departments are responsible for the proper disposal of their property containing Freon and the oil in the compressor, including the cost of its reclaiming.

Is there a recycling program on campus?

Recycling is handled through approved programs of the University. University Surplus and Salvage recycles metals and sends e-waste received by them through approved recyclers.
View recycling information at the Office of Sustainability.

How often should departments turn in surplus property?

Turn in your surplus as soon as possible. Do not wait to gather enough property for a large truckload. Some surplus pieces lose value quickly, your space is valuable, and it is easier and faster for University Surplus & Salvage to remove the equipment.

Are donations of property allowed?

No. The University currently does not have a policy authorizing such donations and providing a process for such transactions to be handled fairly and consistently.

How are electronic devices that have a storage device (e.g. hard drive) or persistent memory handled?

The devices are handled in accordance with policy 4-004 University Information Technology Resource Security Policy, in accordance with G4-004N1 Media Sanitization and Destruction regulation and in accordance with policy 3-041 Accountability for Noncapital Equipment.

Hard drives are removed from equipment received by University Surplus & Salvage. The drives are then destroyed in a hard drive crushing machine or the drives have a hole drilled through them where the platter resides.

Picture of crushed hard drive.

How do you sell large and expensive property?

It is sold through an online auction website, that allows the University to use its terms and conditions for online sales.  A reserve price may be established for the item listed for auction. Please contact University Surplus and Salvage if you have a valuable piece of excess property that you would like to surplus and sell. If a valuable piece of property needs to be sold in a different manner than the online auction site then it will be advertised and put out to bid. University Surplus & Salvage will receive and open any and all bids, create bid procedures, documents, and any sale agreements as necessary.

What if an item is too large for University Surplus & Salvage to handle?

Occasionally, an item is too large for our warehouse or an item is too large for the surplus staff to safely handle. We can advertise and sell the item from its present location or the department sending the property to us could arrange with the Moving Services Department (801) 581-8518 or a private moving service to send the property to our facility. Responsibility for the payment to the Moving Services Department or to a private moving service company resides in the originating department. (Please read question “Are deliveries of equipment from departments accepted at University Surplus & Salvage?”)

How are vehicles sold?

They are sold through an online auction website. Vehicle stickers and license plates are removed by the Fleet Services before coming to Surplus.

Will University Surplus & Salvage empty building(s), floor(s), suite(s) and /or pick up multiple truckloads of property from departments?

It depends on the volume of property needing removal and the time allotted to remove the property. Departments needing building(s), floor(s), suite(s) and/or multiple loads of property picked up, need to give prior notice, at least 45 to 90 business days, of the required completion date. Department(s) requesting removal of property may need to involve the Space Planning and Management Department, Occupational and Environmental Health and Safety Department and/or Campus Design and Construction Department in the clean out of the property. In addition, the requesting department may need to retain a professional moving company(s) and/or the Moving Services Department to bring the property to us.

How long does it take for property to be picked up?

University Surplus and Salvage typically has 15 to 30 orders at any one time. Pickup truck size orders are the fastest to receive and are usually completed within one week. Larger orders may take up to two weeks to schedule in and complete. The size and quantity of the orders ahead of your work order dictates the speed of completion. Surplus picks up 5,000 pieces of property on average a month. That is equivalent to 3 to 5 household loads of property a day.

Will University Surplus & Salvage disassemble, dismantle or take apart property or furniture being turned over to them?

University Surplus & Salvage will not dismantle equipment or furniture attached to walls, floors, ceilings, roofs, pipes, electrical conduit, ducting, plumbing, etc… and property like modular cubicles which becomes one large unit. The department is responsible to have the property dismantled or have Facility Operations prepare the property for removal.

Will University Surplus & Salvage pick up emergency orders?

Because of limited staff, material handling equipment, trucks and the prior scheduling of orders, University Surplus & Salvage will pick up an emergency order only if another order is canceled, we are going to that location anyway, or the orders scheduled that day do not take as much time as allotted. Frequently in an emergency, the department will need to arrange to bring the property to us. Property placed in hallways and under stairs (which is unsafe and prohibited due to fire code) is not considered an emergency order.

Is the surplus property guaranteed?

All surplus is sold “as is” with faults known and unknown. Many items for sale are in good condition and may meet your needs, and some items are incomplete or broken and are sold for parts. The buyer must check each item carefully before purchase. The buyer assumes all liability after purchase. University Surplus & Salvage does not offer refunds and does not offer exchanges. The only exception to this policy is on monitors which go bad in the first thirty (30) days after purchase.

Does University Surplus & Salvage approve trade-ins?

University Surplus & Salvage does not approve trade-ins, only the proposed amount. University Surplus & Salvage has the option of matching trade-in amounts if more value can be realized through selling the item.

Why does University Surplus & Salvage require Retirement-Transfer forms to be completed before the pickup of property?

The Retirement Transfer form is the document that authorizes us to receive property and to track it.

Is delivery provided?

Delivery is provided to University Departments.

What is the Reimbursement Schedule for Departments?

Money is reimbursed to departments based on the selling amount of each piece of property sold at University Surplus and Salvage. The reimbursement schedule is per University Policy 3-040. University Hospital reimbursement is sent to Hospital Accounting and it is not reimbursed to each hospital department. The Reimbursement Schedule is located here.

Surplus & Salvage – 210 Connor Street, Salt Lake City, UT 84113-5026 – Phone: 801.581.7917 – Fax: 801.585.3051