The Ono Pharma Foundation was established to support academic research in relevant scientific fields, which have the potential of making significant impact on therapeutic approaches to disease and pain management. The Foundation’s competitive awards program, the Ono Pharma Breakthrough Science Initiative Awards Program (“Ono Initiative”), is the embodiment of the Foundation’s commitment to focus on and accelerate researcher-driven open innovation by supporting high-risk and high-reward science research projects which have potential to lead to science discoveries/solutions and, possibly, based on further research, to breakthrough treatments for patients.
Applicants must meet the following requirements. LOIs and final Proposals from applicants not meeting the requirements listed below will not be considered.
- Each PI applying chemical biology area must be working in one of the nominating institutions. Nominating institutions might be replaced or added to in subsequent years.
- Each PI applying oligonucleotide medicine research area must be working in the United States or Canada.
- The PI must have a MD and/or a PhD degree.
- The PI may not already be engaged in other sponsored research with Ono Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. and/or grant program with Ono Pharma Foundation.
- The PI may not apply for funding to amplify current work. However, PIs may research a new idea based on a prior findings of the PI.
As a US private foundation, Ono Pharma Foundation grants to Canadian institutions are conditioned on an equivalency determination by the Foundation. This may require additional documentation and information from the institution outside of the application process.
Applications for the 2018 Ono Initiative are available on InfoReady. This is a limited submission that allows 2 nominations from the University of Utah.