Tuition Appeal FAQ’s:

What is the deadline for submitting a tuition appeal?  

The deadline for filing a tuition reimbursement appeal is the end of the current term.  
Appeals to resolve tuition balances due on account will only be reviewed for the prior three years. 
No refunds will be issued on appeals outside of the current term.
Students can only file 2 tuition appeals within in a 5 year period.

What is the difference between the tuition reimbursement and the tuition appeal to resolve tuition balance due on account?

Tuition Reimbursement appeal, once the appeal is approved there may be money refunded to you.
Tuition Appeal for removal of tuition charges, once the appeal is approved tuition charges will be removed to cover the outstanding debit, no money will be refunded to the student

What documentation do I need to submit with the tuition appeal form?

Tuition Appeal Supporting Documentation

I owe money for a tuition refund can I appeal the money I owe for the refund?

There is no appeal process for reducing or cancelling the money owed on a refund that must be repaid.

How long does the appeal process take?

Please allow 6-to 8 weeks for processing.

How will I know the status of my tuition appeal?

A formal letter will be sent to the address listed on the appeal form notifying you of the group’s decision.
For questions during this process, you may email or call 801-581-7344.

You may also check the tuition appeal status on your Campus Information System (CIS), under Tuition and Loans, Status Tuit/Late Fee Petition

What circumstances are NOT sufficient to support a Financial Petition?

• Not being aware of add/drop deadlines.
• Insufficient financial aid or financial hardship.
• Dropping coursed to avoid bad grades.
• Deciding that school/life is too overwhelming.
• Dissatisfaction with instructor or course content or determining that courses you took do not meet your academic/personal goals.
• Not receiving mail, due to bad address or not receiving email due to not setting it up or not using UMail.
• You may not appeal refunds that must be repaid.
• If you are attempting to cancel Housing and Residential Education (HRE), you will need to contact HRE.

My appeal was approved. How will I be refunded eligible funds?

Refund Policies

I have a late fee on tuition can I appeal the late fee?

Yes, you may appeal a late fee on your tuition account.
You will need to fill out the Request for Waiver of Late Fee form.
See Exception to University Policy –Tuition Appeal, or you may come into the Income Accounting Office (SSB Rm. 155) and fill out the form in the office.

Will my tuition appeal also remove my Housing charges?

The tuition appeal is only for tuition charges, if you are attempting to cancel Housing and Residential Education (HRE) charges, you will need to contact HRE.

Who do I contact for more information?

Contact the Income Accounting Office at 801-581-7344 or by email at