Appeal Supporting Documentation
The burden of proof rests with the student to submit documentation of circumstances that prevented the student from adhering to the U of U policies and procedures. All statements in the appeal must be concise and accurately documented. This documentation may include, but not limited to the following:
- Medical reasons: Statement from the physician or hospital on official letterhead that provides:
- Date the medical condition was diagnosed.
- Dates of treatment during the term you are appealing.
- Dates of hospitalization or confinement, recuperation period, release from treatment.
- Patients name, relationship to the student.
- Doctor’s Signature.
- Please do not submit medical bills or insurance claims.
- Military deployment:
- Deployment papers if the student’s military unit was activated and deployed during the semester.
- Death of student’s family member:
- Certificate of death, obituaries, or funeral program.
- Relationship to the deceased.
- Letters of non-attendance must list the student’s name, ID, term, course, and signature of instructor.
- Emails are acceptable, if they come directly from the instructor, email must include student name, UnID, term, and course.
- Other: Special circumstances beyond the student’s control may be considered.
- Must be documented on letterhead by source that supports the claim.
- Official documents to substantiate claim.