- The University of Utah has partnered with Nelnet to offer monthly auto-pay payment plan options for Tuition, and Housing charges, combined.
- All payment plans will only be offered online through your Campus Information System (CIS), and will no longer be processed at the tuition windows.
- Students will be able to sign up for a payment plan using either a bank card, or a checking/savings account. Monthly payments will automatically be deducted from a checking/savings account, or automatically charged to a bank card.
- There is an initial one-time application fee of $35, per payment plan.
Note: The Due date for each payment will be the 20th of each month, unless those days fall on a weekend or holiday, in which case the due date would be the following business day.
- 2019 Spring payment plans
The 5-month payment plan will be available November 13 through December 14
– Payments will be deducted monthly on the 20th, for December, January, February, March, and April
The 4-month plan payment plan will be available from December 15 through to the Tuition deadline on January 18.
– Payments will be deducted monthly on the 20th, for January, February, March, and April
- 2019 Summer payment plan
The 3-month Payment plan will be available May 1 to the Tuition deadline, on May 22
– A down payment of one third of the total amount due along with the application fee will be required when you enroll.
– The final two monthly payments will be automatically deducted on the 20th of June and July.
- 2019 Fall payment plans
The 5-month payment plan will be available June 1 through July 14
– Payments will be deducted monthly on the 20th, for July, August, September, October, and November
The 4-month payment plan will be available July 15 to the Tuition deadline, on August 30.
– Payments will be deducted monthly on the 20th, for August, September, October, and November
- Participants of the payment plan are required to sign up and pay an application fee of $35.00 online through CIS.
- After logging into CIS, click on the link “Tuition Bill/Pay Tuition” tile.
- Then select the Tuition Bill page, click on the button “Pay Tuition Using Payment Plan.”
- The payment plan options are only available online.
- You may pay tuition and housing in full online through CIS, or in-person at the Income Accounting & Student Loan Services office, room 165 Student Services building.
- Use the Tuition Estimator, and access HRE Rate information, to estimate the payment plan amount before tuition calculates, and housing fees are assessed, on January 1, 2019.
- Any account paid in full by Financial Aid, will cause the payment plan to be automatically cancelled.
- Any tuition account that does not have tuition charges because there is no registration will automatically have the payment plan cancelled.
- Financial Aid, class drops or changes, or any other type of payment or credit will be credited toward your tuition balance just as they normally would. If you have HRE charges, the remaining credit will be applied to that balance before a refund is issued.
- Plans will be adjusted to cover increases for added hours and any additional charges.
- A failed payment will be assessed a $30.00 fee by Nelnet. Failed payments will automatically be retried on the 5th of the following month. If the retry attempt fails, this will result in a cancellation of the payment plan agreement. Cancelled payment plans will cause the balance to be due immediately, a registration hold will also be placed on the student’s account, and a late fee of $60.00 will be assessed.
- Further collection efforts will occur on any unpaid balance, including referral to a collection agency, and state tax refund garnishment.
Payment Plan Frequently Asked Questions
How do I enroll?
Payment Plan enrollment is fast and simple. To enroll:
- To estimate your monthly payments, use the Tuition Estimator and the HRE Rate information, to determine your charges.
- If you are a student, you must login to your CIS.
- From the main menu, click on Tuition Bill/Pay. Follow the payment plan links and instructions in order to input your banking account information, or bank card information.
What is the payment schedule?
Each term has monthly payment plan options. Listed below are the payment plan options for Spring 2019.
Spring 2019 term
Number of Payments
Payment withdrawn from bank account (approximate date)
November 13th to December 15th
Monthly on the 20th, for December, January, February, March, and April
December 16th to Tuition Deadline January 18th
Monthly on the 20th, for January, February, March, and April
Is there a fee to enroll?
Yes. You will incur a one-time fee of $35 for each term you enroll. This fee is nonrefundable and will be deducted from your designated checking or savings account, or bank card account, at the time you enroll.
If I have multiple students, do I pay only one enrollment fee?
No, Each student will be assessed an enrollment fee.
Do I have to re-enroll each semester?
Yes. Your payment plan will be term-specific.
How much should I pay?
The amount you estimate, will be divided equally according to the payment plan you have selected. However the maximum amount paid towards your plan cannot exceed the amount of your tuition, room, board, or fees for an academic term.
Can my monthly payments be adjusted after I sign up?
Yes. Your monthly payment amount will be adjusted if you add hours or have any additional charges assessed, or have a credit applied towards your balance. Balances will automatically be adjusted after the tuition deadline, and each month thereafter.
Can my plan be cancelled?
Yes. You may cancel your plan at any time, however the $35 enrollment fee is nonrefundable. If you no longer wish to participate in the payment plan, you will be subject to the regular billing terms of the University, which will cause your balance to be immediately due in full, a hold on your records, and a $60 late fee.
Are there any late fees or penalties for missed payments?
If you have an unsuccessful payment. Nelnet will assess a $30.00 fee and retry the payment on the 5th of the following month. If both transactions are unsuccessful and you miss a payment, your payment plan will be cancelled. You will be assessed a $60 late fee, the balance will be due in full, and a registration hold will be placed on your student account.
Can I use the payment plan to bypass a registration hold for a past due balance?
No. If for any reason your balance due is not paid by the time registration opens, a registration hold will be placed on your account and you will need to pay your balance in full before you will be allowed to register.
For plan users, if your payments are kept up-to-date and cover the amount billed to your student account, your account will be paid in full each term.
How will the payment plan payments for qualified tuition and related expenses be reported on my Form 1098-T?
Payments made from your bank account in the months of January through November will be reported on the 1098-T for that current tax year. Payments made in December for Spring semester will be reported on the following tax year.
Is there a maximum payment amount?
Yes, you may only pay up to the amount of tuition and housing charges assessed for a single term.
When are refunds issued if an account is overpaid, or a plan is cancelled and a refund is due?
Depending on the type of payment, refunds will begin after the drop/add date. Checks have a 20 business day waiting period, and E-Checks have a 15 business day waiting period. Bank card refunds will begin after the drop/add date. Credits from Housing will be refunded after HRE has reviewed your account.
Any additional questions:
Please call Income Accounting and Student Loan Services at (801) 581-7344.